I promised you all a blog post yesterday, and I didn’t deliver – sorry about that. I write during my down time at work, and there just wasn’t any to be found!
You guys – potty training is TOUGH! I knew that it would be, but I figured I would take Emma out every few hours on a schedule and we’d get it in no time.
Sometimes, she plays really hard and I have to watch her like a hawk because she’ll just stop and go and then keep on playing. Other times, she eats, and then will wait 30 minutes or maybe even 2 hours before deciding she needs to potty – it’s never consistent. Going to work does make it a little easier, though.
Monday, I dreaded leaving her behind. She whined and it just broke my heart! I wanted to stay home and keep snuggling. By today, I’m grateful for the ease of it. So here is how our weekdays go:
- We get up and immediately go outside – if we don’t, she has an accident like she did this morning and I have to strip all the sheets (I was just so tired and wanted to lay there a LITTLE longer).
- Then, we come inside and everyone gets fed.
- When Emma’s done eating, I put her in her kennel and shower (to avoid the play-hard-potty-while-mom’s-not-looking I described above) and get dressed.
- We go outside again! Sometimes she goes at this point, sometimes she is too distracted by wanting to play with Sammie.
- I set her on the bed and dry my hair, brush my teeth, do whatever finishing touches I need to do for the day.
- Just Emma and I go out to potty so she’s not distracted by Sammie.
- We come inside, I put her in her kennel, and I leave for work.
- I come home for lunch and immediately let them out to potty. Most days, Emma’s had an accident and I have to replace the towel that I laid down in her kennel. On one occasion, she didn’t – woo!
- I feed her again.
- When she’s done, I carry her around with me to avoid the immediate potty that has occasionally happened.
- Before I leave, we all go out and potty again.
- I come home from work and immediately take them outside (again, replace the towel). Then I feed Emma again and we go to the couch if she’s willing to snuggle. Sometimes she’s not, so we go outside and I let her and Sammie play together until she potties. Then we come inside and play!
- Everyone is fed again about 7:30pm, and food and water is taken away at 8:30pm. Usually by this time, she’s settling down and is ready to nap with me.
- We go to bed. And get up 2-3 times in the night.
Puppies are tough, and it’s even harder doing it by yourself (Aaron is on a hunting trip until Sunday – he is going to owe me big time!). But they’re also so much fun! Emma is so excited about EVERYTHING, and I love watching her romp and play.
My favorite moments, though, are still the quiet times when she’s sleeping and I just get to love on her. Then, she’s my precious baby and I forget how tired I am – these moments are worth the struggles from the rest of the day.