Timeline of Events (and the details are gross):
- Monday, May 18: Sammie has a vet appointment. She gets two of her booster shots, has a nail trim, and a fecal sample removed (which was negative).
- Friday, May 21: We all travel to visit Aaron’s family for the weekend.
- Sunday, May 24: We all travel to visit my family to celebrate my dad’s birthday.
- Monday, May 25: We eat pulled pork at my parents’ house, and I dump the grease/fat in the hay field. Sammie finds it and gets COMPLETELY covered. We go home.
- Tuesday, May 26: Stools are a bit loose – we attribute it to the pork fat. We clean her paws with vinegar and water, which seemed to alleviate some of the itchiness previously. She drinks the water while she’s in there, so we get her fresh water and she drinks and drinks and drinks it!
- Wednesday, May 27: Stools are extremely loose this morning. We come home at lunch to find she has had an accident in her kennel, which never happens. When we come home after work, we see she’s had another one. She is pooping every hour or two this evening and refuses to eat anything. Photos above were taken this evening.
- At 2am, Sammie wakes us up frantically trying to get out of her kennel. We get her out in time for her to have diarrhea and to throw up.
- Thursday, May 28: I stay home with her and take her out to potty every 3 hours. She acts much better today, and even manages to eat something. Her stools seems to be a little more solid by evening (although still loose).
- At 5am, Aaron wakes up to find that Sammie had another accident – this time on our carpet. We spend the next 30+ minutes cleaning it up.
- Friday, May 29: Sammie goes potty again at 7:30am. More loose stools. We don’t feed her breakfast.
I know this is gross, and probably not something you care to read about, but it’s important for me to try and remember what happened when so I know how long she’s been sick. At first, we thought it must be the pork fat, but now we think it’s a combination of that and the vinegar water. The question becomes, how long before it’s completely out of her system? We’re just trying to keep her hydrated now and won’t feed her tonight, either. I think if it’s not better by the morning, we’re taking her to the vet. Again. At least today is pay day!